Ariadne Labs is a joint center of Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Harvard School of Public Health, launched to foster innovation to drive better care at the most critical moments in people’s lives, everywhere. We have built a unique team that is working together to make this ambitious venture a reality.
If you are interested in working for Ariadne Labs, please review the job openings listed below and send questions about our career opportunities to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Job Openings
Our three core research programs are in the domains of childbirth, surgery, and serious illness, with several other projects in development in these and other fields. These research programs are supported in a matrix model by scientific platforms: Implementation and Improvement Science (IIS), Informatics and Measurement, and Program/Project Management.
The IIS platform focuses on partnering with Ariadne Labs programs to strengthen internal and research monitoring, support study design, and document and disseminate lessons learned throughout Ariadne Labs and the broader research community. We are also committed to increasing the knowledge and skills of the Ariadne Labs community in implementation and improvement science and ensuring that Ariadne Labs is recognized globally as a leader in these fields.
- Work with the Ariadne Labs research programs to develop and implement effective evaluation of projects, including work focused on the scale-up of existing projects.
- Lead development of conceptual frameworks for projects across the lifecycle of a project (development through scale).
- Provide analytic support for projects focusing on both qualitative and mixed methods research.
- Partner with the IIS Director and Sr. Program Manager to further define the platform’s strategy and mission, as well as identify the team’s priorities and main areas of work.
- Mentor Ariadne Labs faculty and staff to develop or strengthen capacity in implementation and improvement sciences and evaluation.
- Support and lead writing of manuscripts, abstracts, and reports.
- Contribute to study design, including analysis plans.
- Work with the IIS team to increase the appreciation for and effective use of monitoring and evaluation, implementation and improvement science, mixed methods research, and other study methods at Ariadne Labs and in the broader research community.
- Partner with the IIS Director and team to develop new areas of competency and advance the field of Implementation and Improvement Science.
- Support grant development and writing across Ariadne Labs.
- Complete other work identified by the Director and Program Manager as essential to the success of Ariadne Labs and the IIS platform.
- Doctoral qualification in public health, public policy, biostatistics or other related field.
- Research Scientist level requires at least 3 years of experience leading research projects after doctoral degree.
- Applicants should have a significant record of publications in the peer-reviewed and gray literature, and be recognized as an expert in innovative evaluation methods.
- Applicants should also have experience mentoring and supervising others, and experience in leading grant development and writing.
- Background in healthcare or healthcare-related fields.
- Demonstrated expertise in/with evaluation methods and frameworks including using mixed methods, qualitative methods including design and analysis using NVivo or other appropriate analysis software, and survey design and methodology.
- Prior experience integrating implementation and improvement science with other methodologies such as social science research, program evaluation, and health services research is also a priority.
- He/she must have excellent collaboration skills and experience working with and mentoring multidisciplinary teams, the ability to rapidly respond to changing needs of programs, and flexibility in approaches to evaluation to reflect available resources, goals and timescale.
- The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with experience in global health, writing case studies, and exposure to social science research or evaluation skills including scale development and validation.
The Project Manager is a member of the BetterBirth team at Ariadne Labs, and will collaborate with the Senior Program Manager to ensure the BetterBirth trial is managed on time, on budget and with optimal clarity to delivery on program deliverables. The BetterBirth Program is a maternal and infant health 120-site matched-pair cluster randomized trial of the WHO Safe Childbirth Checklist in north India to assess the Checklist’s impact on serious maternal, fetal and newborn harm. The roll out and trial is multi-phased, complex and requires significant collaboration and partnership with both US and India based teams.
Under minimal direction, the Project Manager performs a wide range of activities that vary in scope, including the management of resources (ex., personnel, subcontractors, budgets) in a complex environment, and ensuring that BetterBirth is adhering to its protocols, schedules and plans for the overall trial and, in particular, with its research activities.
The Project Manager will coordinate closely with the BetterBirth Team in Boston and in Lucknow, India to ensure successful management of the BetterBirth Trial. The trial will reach 120 primary and community health clinics across Uttar Pradesh, India and will require support to our local subcontractor to manage a team of 250 individuals on the ground.
- BS/BA required
- 5+ years of progressive project experience in public health, global health, maternal and child health, international development, consulting, or related work.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Masters’ degree preferred, particularly in public health, global health, maternal and child health, international development or related field.
- Working knowledge of Hindi is a plus.
- Experience with large-scale and/or international projects preferred.
- Ability to travel to India up to four times a year for two weeks at a time.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and problem solve proactively
- Excellent relationship skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team with ability to lead when needed
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation and communication skills
- Excellent project and people management skills, including running effective and productive meetings
- Demonstrated experience in tracking and management of complex information and project components (e.g. workflows, operations manuals, timelines)
- Creative problem solving skills, adapting approach as needed.
Click Here for more information and to apply for this job.
Please note: the location for this internship is our ofice in Boston, MA. If you are seeking a remote position, please check back at a future time.
The Ariadne Labs External Relations team is seeking a motivated, social media-savvy editorial assistant with strong writing skills and an interest in public health communications.
This position will work directly with the Communications Manager on a wide range of communications projects and functions in a busy organization of BWH physicians, public health researchers and technical experts. The internship offers a qualified undergraduate the opportunity to sharpen their written communication skills, participate in the development of organizational communications strategy and learn about the world of global public health research.
- Managing Ariadne Lab social media accounts
- Interviewing Ariadne Labs faculty and writing stories for the website
- Conducting research as needed
- Proofreading, fact checking and vetting content
- Assisting in the management of media/photo/video scheduling
- Assisting Communications Manager in projects
Skills and Abilities
- Strong writing skills, including thorough familiarity of AP Style
- Excellent social media skills, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Journalism major preferred
- Paid position
- 15-20 hours per week during normal business hours
- Must be able to manage social media accounts outside of regular business hours as needed
Please submit a resume and three writing samples. Classroom assignments are acceptable but published pieces are preferred. All applications should be sent as one PDF document (resume + writing samples combined into one document) to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Editorial Assistant’. Please note that final candidates will be asked to complete a grammar, style and writing test.
This role is part of Ariadne Labs’ administrative core, which provides coordinated, high-touch customer service to an organization of 70+ people, often on tight timelines. The team’s work is fast-paced and collaborative, and this person will work with minimal supervision. Teamwork, flexibility, attention to detail and a “roll up your sleeves” mindset are necessities. Reporting to the Chief Project Officer (CPO), this person will initially support the CPO and Chief Medical Officer (CMO) with administrative and project duties. This person may take on work to support other members of the Ariadne Labs’ Leadership Team in the next 3-6 months. The Administrative Coordinator is proactive and detail oriented, and performs a variety of administrative duties.
- Provide complex administrative support for the CMO and CPO, including scheduling meetings with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including Ariadne Labs’ associate faculty, job candidates, representatives from funding organizations, and potential research collaborators.
- Facilitate and support smooth day-to-day flow of communications between CMO and CPO, and from CMO/CPO to other leaders in the organization.
- Support CMO, CPO and other members of the Leadership Team in tracking project logistics and implementation.
- Maintain and update faculty/executive documents (biographies, CVs, presentations, letters of recommendation etc.)
- Make travel arrangements for Leadership Team member(s).
- Arrange space, facilities and service needs for on- and off-site programs including guest speakers, team meetings, research presentations retreats and group outings.
- Compose, proofread and/or prepare internal and external correspondence and reports.
- Prepare and process reimbursement requests for CMO and CPO.
- Complete other tasks and projects consistent with the role.
- This person may also support to the Director of Development on an ad-hoc basis in the types of tasks listed above.
- At least two years of professional experience; a combination of experience and education will be considered.
- College background preferred.
- Competency using a variety of computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as Google Apps (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive)
- Proven office administration and customer service skills strongly preferred
- Experience balancing multiple deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work with confidential material with a high level of discretion
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with and on teams with a variety of projects, deadlines and constituencies.
Click Here for more information and to apply for this job.
The Statistical Analyst will work with the Senior Statisticians and Ariadne Labs’ study teams to manipulate and analyze clinical data sets of existing and new projects.
- Perform data management functions including preparation of analytic data sets and detection of outliers and potential data quality issues.
- Manipulation and analysis of clinical data sets, including administrative data.
- Design and perform complex statistical analysis in consultation with study investigators and senior statistician. Analysis will incorporate quantitative methods including linear regression, logistic regression, Cox regression, and regression methods for clustered and repeated measures data.
- Provide study team with succinct summary of the statistical methods and data analysis in a readily comprehensible fashion.
- Work with study team to communicate process and results.
- Carefully document all programming, data management, and decision steps, which will serve as a technical appendix to project deliverables. The documentation of all statistical programs will ensure reproducibility of any scientific findings.
- Write complex programs using Base SAS®, SAS Macro Language, SAS ODS facility, SAS GRAPH, SAS STAT.
- Meet with study team routinely to discuss status of analysis, encountered issues, etc.
- Participate in the preparation of statistical methods sections of grants and manuscripts under mentorship of Senior Statistician.
- Perform sample size and power calculations when designing new studies.
- Apply knowledge of both statistics and study design to inform protocols and study execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3+ years of statistical programming experience in SAS.
- Additional Qualifications Masters degree in biostatistics, statistics, public health or related field preferred.
- Strong database and overall computer skills
- Demonstrated analytic skills to problem solve effectively
- Fluency with healthcare data and/or working knowledge of claims data preferred
- Ability to work in a matrix structured environment and be part of cross functional teams
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at one time
- Working knowledge of STATA, R and/or SQL preferred
- Knowledge and application of Bayesian methods preferred
Click Here for more information and to apply for this job.